Professional freeloader Brian Coleman will have his position formalised by Barnet Council next month when he becomes its Mayor.
Coleman's responsibilities will be:
- to uphold and promote the purposes of the constitution, and to interpret the constitution when necessary
- to preside over meetings of the council so that its business can be carried out efficiently and with regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community. (The Deputy Mayor will preside if chosen by council to do so.)
- to ensure that the council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community and a place at which members who are not on the executive are able to hold the executive to account
- to promote public involvement in the council’s activities
- to attend such civic and ceremonial functions as the council and he/she determines appropriate in carrying out his/her duties as first citizen of the borough.
Something tells me that it's the last of these responsibilities that he will take the most seriously.
Although quite why he should be given a chauffeur after squeezing us for £18,000 in taxi fares is anyone's guess.
-Update- The Ham & High have also put the boot in.