When he's not lunching at our expense, Brian Coleman is lunching at the expense of others.
If you take a look at the Assembly's website you will see that Brian's entries take up almost a fifth of the entire hospitality register.
Since the beginning of this year alone Brian has lunched
off of with (among others)
- a major property developer looking to build a school in his borough
- a senior officer in his own council
- the manager of his local shopping centre
- the Lord Mayor of London
- the Ambassador for Bulgaria
Now quite what is discussed during these meetings we'll never know, but at least the fact that he's accepting them is declared publicly on the assembly website.
Unfortunately the same cannot be said of those he declares to the London Fire Authority.
However, thanks to a Freedom of Information request I submitted last month we can now see exactly who else he has been lunching with:
Councillor Brian Coleman (LFEPA Chair)
- Lunch on 27/9/07 provided by Deputy Fire Commissioner
- Dinner on 23/10/07 provided by Sir Ken Knight
- Lunch on 30/10/07 provided by Asset Co
- Lunch on 26/11/07 provided by James Flynn, LFEPA Head of Communications
- Dinner on 21/4/08 provided by Licensing Committee of the City of London Corporation
- Lunch on 28/5/08 provided by Mr David Cartwright
- Lunch on 2/7/08 provided by 4Ps
- Dinner on 2/7/08 provided by T-Systems (sister company of T-Mobile)
- Dinner on 17/7/08 provided by Sir Ken Knight
- Dinner on 23/7/08 provided by Mr John Shannon
- Lunch on 26/8/08 provided by Mr John Smith
- Dinner on 1/12/08 provided by Chief Fire & Rescue Adviser
- Harvey Nichols hamper provided by John Shannon Asset Co on 24/12/08
- Dinner on 19/1/09 provided by John Shannon
So why it is that Brian Coleman feels the need to accept so many of these offers of hospitality?
And why is it that the rich and the powerful feel the need to offer them to to him at all?
Whatever could it be about Brian Coleman that makes him such an appealing dining companion, and why is it that everyone else seem to be able to feed themselves?