Boris Johnson's half price fares scheme is failing to get through to the vast majority of unemployed Londoners, new figures have revealed.
Overall, only 20 per cent of those eligible for the scheme have taken it up so far.
More detailed figures show that in some of the poorest parts of the capital, less than one in ten of those eligible have been granted a card.
In the London boroughs of Barking and Dagenham and Havering there was a less than 9 per cent take up by the end of May.
A new London Assembly report blames the complexity of the concessionary scheme.
Currently, only those unemployed for between 13 and 26 weeks are eligible for a half-price bus and tram pass.
Take up of other concessionary schemes such as the government's New Deal card, may also make them ineligible for the cards.
Liberal Democrat Assembly Member Mike Tuffrey who originally proposed the half-price scheme said:
“It is time to make a real success of the policy and ensure far more unemployed Londoners benefit from this important concession. More publicity and promotion of this important concession is now needed.“This coming Wednesday will almost certainly see a further steep rise in unemployment, probably in every London borough. There has never been a more important time to provide a helping hand to people on low incomes who are searching for work.”
Deputy Chair of TfL Daniel Moylan told the Assembly last month that there was "no immediate plan" to change the fares structure
The London Assembly have urged the Mayor to "radically simplify" the various concessionary schemes available.