Snipe - The Scoop

Wednesday, 6 July 2011

What Boris Johnson really thinks about phone hacking

Boris Johnson is terribly concerned about wrongdoing at News of the World and takes the whole scandal "extremely seriously."

This evening he described the allegations as "blatant intrusion," "callousness," "corruption" and said that:
"Even if only a small number of people were implicated, these allegations have to be taken extremely seriously and investigated ruthlessly and openly."
Yes Boris takes it all extremely seriously. In fact so seriously that just three months ago he joked that celebrities actually wanted their phones hacked.

And so seriously that last year he told the London Assembly the phone hacking saga was...
  • "a load of codswallop cooked up by the Labour Party" which was
  • "patently politically motivated" and
  • "a politically motivated put up job" and
  • "completely spurious and political" and
  • "a song and dance about nothing" which had been
  • "whipped up by the Guardian and the Labour Party."
No doubt he'll instruct the Metropolitan Police to take their investigations extremely seriously indeed.



-Update 08 July- BBC London report on this from last night:

9 comments:

Andrew Haydon said...

Well yes. Although, in the document *you link to* he also says earlier:

"unless there are significant new facts brought into the public domain that make necessary a fresh look at it, then I do not propose to change my views"

Which is what has happened, and what he has done. Fair enough.

He also points out:

"various members of the former Labour Government have had five years to discover their principles about all this and to get outraged about what may or may not have happened. They are now deciding to do it after they have left office"

Which doesn't seem entirely without foundation. The last government really didn't offer much of a challenge to either News International or the News of the World.

Adrian Clark said...

He was on the Today programme this morning, seemingly unsure which of his two opinions to use. The general gist came out something like "this is terrible, but we mustn't be too hard on a man who has done such marvellous things for our press and TV". Riiight...

AdamB said...

"Which is what has happened, and what he has done. Fair enough."

Oh come on. What happened is that the story has finally reached a point where even he can't deliver an apology for it with a straight face.

Although, having said that he couldn't quite help himself this morning on Radio 4 and supplemented his condemnation with lengthy praise for Murdoch and his newspapers.

Anonymous said...

Makes you wonder just how much dirt murdoch has on everyone of our leaders!

prj45 said...

If this was will rubbish how come today boris said he's been told by police his phone had been hacked in 2006

prj45 said...

So if this was all rubbish according boris in this clip, did he forget the police told him his phone had been hacked in 2006 (as per today's question time).

Anonymous said...

Significant new facts only became available because of the pressure from the continued reporting of the issue by the Guardian. Without this reporting (aka hysteria whipped up by the Guardian and the Labour Party), which showed how many unanswered questions there were, the Met would not have re-opened their filesand there would have been no new facts.

Guano

Mark said...

I hope this article in the Guardian is useful, in relation to the links between the Met and News of the World, and New International.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jul/13/john-yates-meeting-news-international

Joe Fonebone said...

BBC London News 06/07/2011 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5dqYc6-4as&list=UU2ddk0UNQzZX1SYaLGyarBQ&index=10